Art ♦ Painting ♦ Cooking ♦ Crochet ♦ Knitting ♦ Fashion ♦ Crafting ♦ Photography ♦ Humor ♦ Family






Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pinterest Project...

...  I think I will start posting the Pinterest projects I see & try after I do them. When I saw this leaf table runner posted on Pinterest  from Martha Stewarts's website I knew I had to make one.  Click HERE to see hers. Of course hers is perfectly pieced in pastel colors & neatly ironed. Mine's not ironed yet ( I just finished & took the photo with my phone - sorry)  but I'm not sure I'm going to iron it. I kind of like the little curling of the leaves and my home is woodsy so... I used 6 different earthy toned fabric scraps and I used a lot more leaves than Martha did.  This is a great way to use up your fabric scraps! I had to stop myself from adding more & more. I can see this used outside on the patio or for a picnic at the river, even as a cool curtain!   I laid out the leaves then hand stitched them together. Even hand stitching with a whip stitch, the entire project took only about 4 hours start to finish.  I made a pattern by drawing & cutting out a leaf shape on sturdy paper (junk mail actually) then used that to cut out my fabric pieces.  Then serged around all the edges.  The serger doesn't like to go in a circle or curves so I started at the point of the leaf then serged to the bottom and then did the other side, so it wasn't continuous sewing.  If you don't have a serger here is an alternate way to construct this runner would be to use your zigzag stitch & carefully stitch around the edges or to double your fabric with right sides together, stitch the leaf shape leaving a gap to turn the fabric. Constructing in that way, you could use 2 different fabrics to make it reversible but you will use more fabric and it will take a lot more time. I'm easily bored so I like speedy projects, instant gratification, if they take too long they usually become "UFO"s (unfinished objects) and I have plenty of those.   I have created 2 Boards on Pinterest for sewing.  One is "Feed The Machine" which has lots of free embroidery & embroidery ideas and the other is "Sew Loved".   Just click & follow! Stay tuned, more Pinterest Projects I try! I will be posting them in the future!

StumbleUpon.com

No comments: